Do you have IBS? Here are sign & symptoms to diagnose IBS
These Home remedies are simple, yet your doctor may not tell you so.
Some of the causes are Irregular meal-times and eating habits, spicy, oily foods, stress, depression, extreme emotions of anger and fear and in some cases, climatic conditions.
Constipation, is a major cause for many of the other problems and a sign of a larger problem as well. It should never be ignored. There are several home remedies to treat constipation. Some of them which follow are quite useful :
1) Always drink plenty of water throughout the day. Around 8-10 glasses of water in a day is recommended. Water not only would help you regulate your bowel movements but also help you to flush out the toxins.
2) Take lot of fibre in your diet. If you do not get enough fibre in the foods you eat during the day, try taking 5-10 grams of Psyllium Husk whenever you feel constipation. Psyllium Husk can be taken with lukewarm water or plain Yoghurt.
3) For proper voiding of stools in the morning, you may take 1 tsp of Almond Oil mixed with a glass of Milk every night before going to sleep.
4) Cabbage has good fibre content in it. You can take a bowlful of cabbage leaves which will ensure proper functioning of the bowels.
5) Guavas, when eaten along with seeds should provide good roughage for bowel movements.
6) Boil some figs in water. Drink the decoction before bedtime. Try taking this decoction for 3-4 nights for treating long-term constipation.
7) A very simple remedy would be to take a glass of warm water, add juice of a lemon and mix some rock salt for flavoring. Drink this on an empty stomach before even brushing your teeth. It will treat whatever constipation woes you may have had.
8) Fennel Decoction can also be taken. Boil some fennel seeds in a glass of water. Fennel improves your digestion and regulates your bowel movements.
9) An apple a day (along with its red skin) is very good to keep the constipation away.
10) Every night before going to bed, take a spoonful of honey and mix it in water (boiled, and then cooled). Take it in the night.
11) Take a thin cloth and spread it over your belly. Take another thick cloth, and make it wet. Place it over the cloth on your belly. In the morning stools, should be easier to pass out.
12) Oranges also stimulate digestion and rejuvenate your bowels. So have them as they are, or juice them out.
13) The mixture of Three Myrobalans, called Triphala can also be taken to balance your Doshas and alleviate constipation. Triphala is made from 3 fruits namely Emblica Officinalis (Indian Gooseberry), Terminalia Chebula (Harada, Chebulic Myrobalan) and Beleric Myrobalan. Triphala tablets are easily available.
14) If you can find Harada (Chebulic Myrobalan) in some Indian Grocery Store, buy it and fry it in Clarified butter (ghee). Take an equal quantity of Black Salt (Kala Namak), and add it to the fried Chebulic. Make a paste from it and store in a dry airtight container. Take a spoonful of this mixture with warm water. It offer permanent relief to many who suffer from irritable bowel syndrome.
15) Prepare a salad from Beetroot Leaves and Tomato. Eat this salad for any short bouts of constipation.
16) Take some grapes and discard their seeds. Put these grapes in a glassful of milk. Drink one glassful of milk every night before bed and chew on the grapes. This should again relieve your constipation.
17) Plantains (small variety of Banana) when taken with Curd and Honey is also very good for irritable bowels.
18) Take the powder of one dry ginger and mix it with some Senna (Cassia Leaves). You will get Senna in Indian Groceries. Put these powders in a cup of lukewarm water. Drink while its still warm.
19) The Fruit of Aegle Marmelos also has laxative properties.
20) Dates are also mildly laxative when had with a lukewarm glass of milk. Eat and chew the dates and alternate with sips of milk in between.
21) Avoid having jackfruit. Jackfruit causes constipation. You can mix spinach and carrot juice and have it.
22) Papaya fruit is world renowned to relieve constipation.